Friday 28 June 2013





28 June 2013

Comments in the taxi from a teacher who taught working class students in the U.K. (he said that was really tough). Currently edits doctorate and masters papers. He stated that educational issues pop up regularly in many of the  papers he edits, across fields. He feels that language is a major concern, that English is not given enough emphasis and support. English is the global passport language. A 50% pass in English is required for university entrance; half a language is really useful!

Some reflections on my process:
I am knitting squares to make up the big fabric; 10 stitches by 10 rows. I pick up stitches from existing knitting and knit into the edges, thus not needing to sew the squares together. The knitting directly reflects my mental and emotional states. There have been some chaotic moments when I have not been centred and focussed, thus picking up too many stitches and knitting too many rows. The piece has developed a breast-like lump, and a rather frilly-highly-dense area.
I think I will knit until I have 10 squares square, and then begin another piece. I will then knit the large 10 by 10 squares together. I find the fabric gets more cumbersome and vulnerable the larger it becomes, especially the in and out of the carry bag.

Some reflections on documentation:
A part of me really resents documentation and the photographing of an experience. It turns it into an event, when actually it is just another aspect of experience. Photography implies the endorsing/validating of something, as if it only exists because it has been photographed! Written documentation seems to hold less interest than images, but probably more weight. Certainly when it comes to social media and the internet, I look at pictures and barely skim over the words.

Comments

Popular Posts