Applying for UIF making yarn

making yarn
knitting










Today I went to the department of home affairs to apply for UIF. I am 12 days past the 6 month claim time, so I may not get it! I sat in a queue for 5 hours making yarn and knitting. It took a while for anyone to ask what I was doing. My general approach is to quietly knit and only begin conversation once I have been approached.
A young man sitting next to me told me that he is now studying engineering at a tertiary institution. He worked after he matriculated, saving money in order to study further. For him education is very important. He is the first in his family to study at a tertiary level and he hopes to inspire these rest of his family (sister/cousins [?]) to do so. For him furthering his education is not only in order to get a better job, but also that he might inspire and contribute meaningfully to his community and society in a more powerful way.

knitting on the floor

Another Lady has taken it upon her self to generate an eco awareness project in a low/no income area. She has generated funds to reward young learners with gift parcels (stationery goodies) once they have combed the areas that they live in and go to school, cleaning up any garbage lying about. They need to fill 2 bags in order to receive a parcel. She feels that awareness needs to be started with the youth and hopefully that would shift the general attitude toward the environment. The children that she is working with attended a school which has a feeding scheme. The pupils are given a meal at school. For some this is the only meal they receive a day. She also wants to develop safe and clean  areas where the children can play (parks).

law enforcement at MyCiti Civic Centre

Comments

Popular Posts